Northern Lights.mn is a collaborative, interactive media-oriented, arts organization from the Twin Cities for the world. We create platforms with and for artists, audiences, and partners to experiment with and experience innovative art in the public sphere.
Northern Spark is an all night arts festival. Now in its 6th year, Northern Spark will light up Minneapolis on Saturday, June 11, 2016 with the theme of Climate Chaos / Climate Rising. This theme will continue into 2017 for the largest-ever Northern Spark along the Green Line on Saturday, June 10, 2017. For more information about the festival, visit northernspark.org.
Job Description: Business Manager
The purpose of this job is to manage and increase earned revenue streams for Northern Spark. The Business Manager will work closely with the Artistic Director, Co-Director and Projects Manager in five areas: festival and project sponsors, festival program ads, food vendors, merchandise, and new revenue opportunities. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Creating earned revenue plan for NS17
- Working with NS staff to create sponsorship proposals
- Contacting businesses to solicit sponsorships of Northern Spark festival
- Contacting businesses to solicit sponsorships of artwork
- Contacting businesses to build awareness of the festival
- Contacting businesses to solicit ad buys
- Working with the Launch Party Coordinator and Host Committee to solicit sponsorship of the Launch Party
- Soliciting and managing food vendor participation in Northern Spark
- Work with NS staff to create merchandise plan
- Working with the Volunteer Coordinator to solicit food donations for volunteers
- Managing sponsor relations
- Managing hosting of sponsors night of Northern Spark
- Overseeing sponsor contracting and contract fulfillment
- Attending weekly meeting with Artistic Director and other staff
- Attending NS staff meetings monthly, or as often as desired. (Held weekly)
- Maintaining in a timely manner all info systems requirements
Deadline to apply
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, August 26, 2016
Desired skills and experience
- Experience with sponsorships and other revenue generating programs
- Experience working in a festival context
- Experience working with arts and cultural organizations in the nonprofit sector.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills
- Leadership ability and project management skills
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work with and learn from different kinds of people
- Ability to work with a small, busy team of colleagues and self direct when necessary
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with occasional weekend and evening meetings
- Experience with Google Docs, Asana, and CiviCRM are preferred but not necessary.
Estimated hours: varies from approximately 16-20 hours week September – March to 6-10 hours week April – June
Required availability: Able to work on-site for meetings Tuesday – Thursday and remotely on Mondays and Fridays. Occasional weekend and evening meetings. Must be available week of June 5-10, 2017
Contract duration: September, 2016 – June 30, 2017
Reports to: Artistic Director
Required equipment: Must have own computer and internet access.