Job Opportunity: Northern Spark 2019 Neighborhood Volunteer Lead – Rondo
Northern Spark 2019 Neighborhood Volunteer Lead – Rondo
Northern Spark is a free, annual, late-night, multidisciplinary arts festival that takes place in June and draws tens of thousands of Minnesotans each year. In collaboration with arts organizations and community partners, we turn the city into a surprising arts experience. Northern Spark is produced by Northern Lights.mn. For more information on our work, visit our website: http://northern.lights.mn/.
In 2019 Northern Spark takes place in three neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St. Paul: Downtown East in The Commons (Minneapolis), American Indian Cultural Corridor along Franklin Ave. (Minneapolis), and Rondo at Hallie Q. Brown Community Center (St. Paul). Festival dates are Friday, June 14 and Saturday, June 15 from 9 pm to 2 am each night. For general information about the festival, visit here.
Job Description: Neighborhood Volunteer Lead – Rondo
This position is responsible for the recruitment, scheduling and festival nights-of management of approximately 50 volunteers and survey seekers in the Rondo hub of Northern Spark.
Deadline to apply:
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb 1, 2019.
Estimated hours: 5-10 hours a week, approx 75 hours total
Duration: Mid-March through June 30, 2019
Reports to: NS Volunteer Coordinator
Volunteer Recruitment and Management
- Learn recruitment and scheduling tools and systems from Volunteer Coordinator
- With Festival Producer and Volunteer Coordinator, determine plan for Volunteer Operations in the Rondo hub including Info Tent location and Volunteer Lounge
- Recruit and schedule volunteers and survey seekers to fill approx 50 shifts for nights-of and pre-festival events (~25 per night) for the Rondo node
- Conduct ongoing communications with festival volunteers assigned to this node
- Attend pre-festival outreach and recruitment events in the neighborhood
- With Volunteer Coordinator, organize, attend and present at Volunteer Orientation in Rondo
- Oversee all Volunteer operations at Hallie Q Brown on night-of festival including:
- Checking Volunteers in and out for their shifts
- Executing 3 attendance counts nightly
- Maintain the Volunteer Lounge
- Help keep volunteers on task, engaged and informed throughout the night
- Help to problem solve and serve as a point of communication with festival staff
- Communicate with production staff
- Attendance at monthly, then weekly staff meetings in Minneapolis
- Create and coordinate a final list of all completed volunteer shifts and update festival records
Excellent written and verbal communications and public speaking skills; interest and enjoy working with people; ability to work independently and efficiently; keen ability to organize and track large amounts of data. Experience working with volunteers a must.
Ideal candidate holds community ties within Rondo and a broad network from which to recruit volunteers.
Experience using Google docs is important, knowledge of Asana and CiviCRM preferred but not necessary if willing to learn these tools.
Own computer and access to internet when not in the NL office. Smartphone w/ data plan necessary for festival nights-of communications.