Open Position: Volunteer Lead
Northern Spark – Volunteer Lead
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
Location: West Bank (Somali Language Required)
May 20th – Volunteer Lead Training
Late May – Doorknocking Support
June 10th – Event Day (6pm -6am)
Optional Commitments: While not required, we have several opportunities before and after the festival to unwind, share stories, and get to know those in this amazing community!
Who We Are:
Northern Spark is a free, annual, dusk-to-dawn, multidisciplinary arts festival that takes place on the second Saturday of June and draws tens of thousands of Minnesotans each year. Our 2017 festival is the culminating year of the Climate Chaos | People Rising series, which explores the interconnected, evolving, long-term consequences from climate change, while giving local and national artists a platform to help turn awareness into concrete action anchored in a realistic and hopeful map for the future.
Northern Spark 2017 is all about exploring the creativity and culture of public spaces in neighborhoods along the Green Line. Northern Spark will still be happening downtown (both of them!) but you’ll find equal excitement of this year’s festival in these neighborhoods!
Who You Are:
Enthusiastic – full of energy and excitement to keep you and your team going all night!
Problem solver – quick on your feet, you like being in the center of it all!
Committed – to the awesome intersections of art, public spaces, and technology.
Leader – leading by example, delegating, and motivating others through positive interactions.
Flexible – able to roll with the punches while maintaining a positive attitude.
Participatory – you’ll try anything once and encourage others to do the same!
Reliable – you meet your deadlines, keep people on task, and are always on time.
Communicative – you keep everyone in the loop, and vocalize what you need to be successful.
What We Do Together:
Provide an awesome experience for our volunteers and festival participants, educate about the festival, help guide people to and encourage participation with exhibits, the festival and the community.
What You Do:
- Check in and delegate assigned roles and tasks to your team of volunteers
- Execute three specific attendance counts during the event
- Communicate effectively with your team and Northern Spark staff to resolve or escalate any emerging tasks, needs, or issues.
- Help keep volunteers on task, engaged and informed throughout the night
- Create and maintain positive morale within your team, making sure your team takes breaks, eats, and feels supported throughout the night.
- Encourage engagement within your Neighborhood Zone, and the festival as a whole
- Utilize your team’s strengths to provide engaging experiences to our attendees, neighborhood residents, sponsors and vendors.
- Respond to and address changing needs from the Volunteer Coordinator and Production team.
Smartphone w/ data plan necessary for festival night-of communications.
How To Apply:
Please send an email to email@example.com with a paragraph about you, your interest in the Volunteer Lead position, and one of your favorite experiences with public art. Please type “West Bank” in the Subject Line of the email. Applications due by April 21st, 2017!